Compiled by Randolph Roth
October 2009 version
The following files are a sample of the kinds of files the Historical Violence Database hopes to post over the next few years. These files will help researchers examine the relationship between violent crimes or violent deaths and social, economic, and cultural phenomena. An excellent source for statistics on economic and demographic trends is:
Susan B. Carter, Scott Sigmund Gartner, Michael R. Haines, Alan L. Olmstead, Richard Sutch, and Gavin Wright, eds. 2006. Historical Statistics of the United States Millennial Edition. New York: Cambridge University Press.
The data on alcohol consumption are from:
- Beauchamp, D. E. (1980) Beyond Alcoholism: Alcohol and Public Health Policy. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Rorabaugh, W. J. 1979. The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Alcohol consumption [xls]
- Alcohol consumption [csv]
National Symbols and County Names
The data on national symbols and county names are from:
- Merritt, R. L. 1966. Symbols of American Community, 1735-1775. New Haven: Yale University Press.
Zelinsky, W. 1988. Nation into State: The Shifting Symbolic Foundations of American Nationalism. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- National symbols [xls] (Merritt)
- National symbols [csv] (Merritt)
- County names [xls] (Zelinsky)
- County names [csv] (Zelinsky)
[csv] - Some links on this page are to .csv files requiring the use of a database program. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com.
[xls] - Some links on this page are to Microsoft .xls files requiring the use of Microsoft Excel. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.