Compiled by Randolph Roth and Cornelia Hughes Dayton
October 2009 version
The data on homicide among adults in colonial New England were compiled by Randolph Roth for his study of American Homicide (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2009) and by Cornelia Hughes Dayton for her study of Women before the Bar: Gender, Law, and Society in Connecticut, 1639-1789 (Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1995). The sources are described in those studies. The data on Massachusetts were gathered with the assistance of Robb Haberman, Brian Carroll, Alexis Antracoli, and Eliza Clark. The data on murders of children under the age of 16 will be posted when Roth completes his study of Child Murder in America.
The spreadsheets and worksheets contain homicide data from the entire region over the entire period, with the exception of Rhode Island. The data on Rhode Island are incomplete after 1720. Roth plans to complete the research in the Rhode Island newspapers and judicial archives at a later date and post a full set of worksheets.
- Connecticut homicides, 1630-1710
- Connecticut homicides, 1711-1750
- Connecticut homicides, 1751-1770
- Connecticut homicides, 1771-1797
- Maine homicides, 1630-1692
- Massachusetts homicides, 1630-1692
- Massachusetts homicides, 1693-1720
- Massachusetts homicides, 1721-1730
- Massachusetts homicides, 1731-1740
- Massachusetts homicides, 1741-1750
- Massachusetts homicides, 1751-1760
- Massachusetts homicides, 1761-1770
- Massachusetts homicides, 1771-1780
- Massachusetts homicides, 1781-1790
- Massachusetts homicides, 1791-1797
- New Hampshire homicides, 1630-1774
- New Hampshire homicides, 1775-1797
- Plymouth homicides, 1630-1692
- Rhode Island homicides, 1630-1797
- Vermont homicides, 1749-1774
- Vermont homicides, 1775-1797
[csv] - Some links on this page are to .csv files requiring the use of a database program. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com.
[doc] - Some links on this page are to Microsoft .doc files requiring the use of Microsoft Word. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
[xls] - Some links on this page are to Microsoft .xls files requiring the use of Microsoft Excel. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact email@example.com.